Wage and Hour – Workers’ Faqs
- English FAQ (PDF)
- Filipino FAQ – Madalas na katanungan (PDF)
- Korean FAQ – л…ёлЏ™мІ кіј мќёл Ґк°њл°њл¶Ђ мќёкё€кіј м‹њк°„ кґЂл¦¬м†Њ (PDF)
- Samoan FAQ – O Aia Tatau mo se Tagata Galue (PDF)
- Spanish FAQ – Preguntas Frecuentes de los Empleados (PDF)
- Yup’ik FAQ – Calistet ApyutkuratukвЂ™ait (PDF)
1) what exactly is the wage that is minimum Alaska? Effective Jan. 1, 2020, AlaskaвЂ™s minimum wage is $10.19 each hour. This will be determined by multiplying all hours worked when you look at the pay period by $10.19. This quantity may be the minimum quantity that may be compensated to a worker as wages.
2) Does my manager need certainly to pay me more for overtime work? Yes, but you will find an online installment loans Mississippi exceptions that are few. In the event that you work significantly more than 8 hours in one time and/or a lot more than 40 hours in one single week, you really must be compensated time-and-one-half (1.5 times) your hourly or regular wage for many additional hours which you worked. Contact the Wage and Hour management workplace ((907) 269-4900) when you have concerns.
3) I still need to receive minimum wage and overtime if I am not paid by the hour, do?
Yes. It doesn’t matter how you might be compensated, if the work is calculated on an hourly basis, piece-rate, payment or elsewhere, all workers have entitlement to Alaska wage that is minimum overtime unless there is certainly a certain exemption that enables otherwise. Contact your local Wage and Hour management workplace to make sure.
4) Can my employer direct me personally to the office overtime? Yes, but when you work over 8 hours in a day that is single over 40 hours in one week, your boss must spend you 1.5 times your hourly or regular wage for many additional hours over 8 and/or over 40 which you worked. Then you can report wage theft to your local Wage and Hour Administration office if your employer is not paying you that overtime.
5) Can my employer give meвЂќвЂњcomp time instead of having to pay me personally overtime? No. Giving you comp time in the place of your overtime wages is certainly not legal in Alaska. You’re eligible for pay that is overtime you work overtime hours, and it also needs to be compensated on the paycheck and shown on your own paystub.
6) Are salaried workers eligible to overtime? Being compensated a salary does not always mean you are perhaps not eligible to receive overtime. Some workers are exempt from overtime, such as for instance professional, administrative, and expert workers, every one of which need really certain requirements to be met. Your real task duties, duties and exactly how you may be compensated often determine your eligibility for overtime.
7) What amount of workers must my employer have before he/she has to spend overtime? a grand total of four or higher. an company who has got an overall total of just three (3) workers, or less, can spend his/her employees straight-time for many full hours worked.
8) My manager explained IвЂ™m an вЂњindependent contractor.вЂќ Exactly what does which means that? Broadly speaking, a completely independent contractor is really a business that is stand-alone. You an independent contractor, you may be working without the protection and benefits that are provided for employees, such as WorkersвЂ™ Compensation coverage, Unemployment Insurance coverage, and/or Social Security benefits if you are working under the direction of a boss, but your employer calls. Call the WorkersвЂ™ Compensation Division at 269-4980, or your wage that is local and management workplace to inquire of for assistance.
9) have always been we eligible to holiday bonus pay? Perhaps maybe perhaps Not for legal reasons. It relies on whether your boss has guaranteed to pay for getaway pay. Example: If for example the company guarantees to cover you time-and-a-half for focus on a vacation, you’ll receive 1ВЅ times your regular price of pay for the break hours worked. When your company will not provide an advantage for getaway pay, you would certainly be compensated just straight-time for vacation hours worked. If for example the manager guarantees to pay for getaway pay but has not yet founded a unique price, and also you work with the break, you might get straight-time for eight hours of work and right time for eight hours of getaway pay.
10) have always been we eligible for sick leave? Getaway pay? Severance pay? As long as the manager has guaranteed which you will get these payments. Sick keep, vacation pay are advantages supplied to a worker, permitting them to be compensated whilst not working. Consequently, a boss has only to cover these advantages if he or she has an insurance plan to cover such advantages, or has produced vow or features a agreement to you to spend these advantages. The Department enforces a company’s own guidelines of these forms of payments.
11) Do i need to be covered “on-call” time? It is not an easy task to respond to. Some time that is on-call payable plus some just isn’t.
Your freedom to pursue your interests that are own “on-call” determines whether you really must be compensated. Until you have to respond to a call if you are required to carry a beeper or cell phone but are free to pursue your own interests, you would not have to be paid. If you should be necessary to stay at your company’s office consequently they are perhaps not permitted to pursue your very own passions such as for example reading, visiting with other people, or paying attention towards the radio, your manager is needed to spend you with this on-call time.
12) what’s the legislation regarding breaks and dinner durations? Alaskan companies have to provide break durations with a minimum of thirty minutes for minors many years 14 through 17 whom work 5 or higher consecutive hours and they are likely to continue steadily to work. Companies are not necessary to provide breaks for workers 18 and over. When your manager permits breaks, and so they past significantly less than 20 mins, you need to be covered the break. In case your boss enables dinner durations, the company is not needed to pay for you for the dinner duration if it persists significantly more than 20 moments and also you do no work throughout that time.
13) Can my manager alter my rate of pay? Yes, for as long before it takes effect as you are given written notice of the change the payday. As an example, if your normal payday (a single day you’re compensated your wages) is on the 20th of the month, your company could provide you with written notice of an alteration in your price of pay any time up to the twentieth. All work done by you following the 20th could be in the rate that is new.